- Virtualization: A data center that has fewer wires, requires less energy and is easier to manage is nothing short of an IT dream.
- SaaS: Ability to rapidly deploy new functionality without having to buy new hardware and go through lengthy implementation cycles - its sexy the way a husband cooking dinner is sexy way for a wife. Again, it takes a certain eye and maturity.
- Visibility: Call it Business Intelligence, Business Activitity Monitoring or Complex Event Processing, the ability to have both senior executives and employees performing the actual tasks be able to get actionable intelligence is huge.
- Collaboration: I recently attended a Cisco telepresence session and I don't care who you are and what you smoke, that stuff is outright sexy. And so is Oracle's Social CRM.
- Transactions: Yes, age-old transactional applications. When they just work, its sexy. The way a plain perfect old black dress just works.
BTW - like this post? Consider subscribing (or get it delivered via E-mail by using the box on the right.)
Update: Michael Krigsman responds with Robert Scoble doesn’t understand enterprise software; Dan Farber writes Don’t weep for underappreciated enterprise software; and also: more from Dennis Howlett, Craig Cmehil and Sandagopan.