Let me start out by pointing out the obvious – Facebook has been nothing short of a revolution in how we live our online lives. It connects me better to my friends, family and co-workers. It has inspired changes in how our work lives are changing.
Facebook Email Will Be Successful But That Doesn’t Mean Its Different!
I have now read at least 13 blog posts on the Facebook’s grand unification of messages from email, text and chat all in one box filtered via your social graph – as the future of communication.
I am yet to find anything that’s truly new.
I have been using Gmail for years and here is what I see:
- Gmail stores all my Google Talk chat messages unless I go off record.
- Gmail stores all my email.
- Gmail prioritizes my inbox based on not just my address book (which is not much different from my social graph) but also other factors like which email I have responded to.
- I use Google Voice so I get my text messages and voice messages (transcribed) in my Inbox and its all in one place.
- Better spam filtering.
- Native apps for iPhone, Android etc. to capture my text messages (SMS).